Restful sleep provides the foundation for your mental and physical well being. After a day of stimulating activity your body is ready for and needs deep sleep. We recommend a minimum of 6-8 hours of restful sleep each night for maximum rejuvenation. Hours of sleep before midnight are generally the most rejuvenating. Therefore, if you are sleeping eight hours between ten P.M. and six A.M., you will feel more rested than if you slept eight hours between midnight and eight A.M. Each week at the Chopra Center for Wellbeing, we teach an Ayurvedic restful sleep routine at our Perfect Health program. To join us for a week of Perfect Health, call 760-494-1639 or click here to request more information. If you are unable to join us but would like to integrate a few tips into your daily routine, read below.
To promote restful sleep, try the following routine:
- Eat a relatively light dinner
- Take a leisurely stroll after dinner
- To the extent possible, minimize exciting, aggravating, or mentally intensive activities after 8:30 P.M.
- About an hour before bedtime, run a hot bath into which you place a few drops of Relaxing Abhy Oil
- Diffuse relaxing aromas in your bedroom.
- As your bath is running, perform a slow self-administered oil massage and then soak in the warm tub for ten to fifteen minutes.
- While soaking, have the lights low or burn a candle, and listen to soothing music
- After your bath, drink a cup of warm relaxing herbal tea.
- If your mind is very active, journal for a few minutes before bed, “downloading” some of your thoughts and concerns so you don’t need to ruminate about them when you shut your eyes.
- Read inspirational or spiritual literature for a few minutes before bed. Avoid dramatic novels or distressing reading material.
- Do not watch television or do any work in bed.
- Once in bed, close your eyes and simply “feel your body” – this means focus on your body and wherever you notice tension, consciously relax that area.
Then, simply watch your slow easy breathing until you fall asleep.
Call 888.736.6895 or click here to request more information