Harness Your Mind’s Power to Heal & Transform
by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
In the past few decades, there has been a revolution in how we perceive the body. What appears to be an object, a three-dimensional anatomical structure, is actually a process, a constant flow of energy and information.
Consider that in this very moment, your body is changing as it reshuffles and exchanges its atoms and molecules with the rest of the universe – and you’re doing it faster than you can change your clothes. In fact, the body you’re using right now as you read this article is not the same body you woke up with or even the same body that you had a few minutes ago.
The fifty trillion cells in your body are constantly talking to each other as they keep your heart beating, digest your food, eliminate toxins, protect you from infection and disease, and carry out the countless other functions that keep you alive. While these processes may seem out of your conscious control, hundreds of studies have shown that nothing holds more power over the body than the mind.
To think is to practice brain chemistry. Every thought, feeling, and emotion creates a molecule known as a neuropeptide. Neuropeptides travel throughout your body and hook onto receptor sites of cells and neurons. Your brain takes in the information, converts it into chemicals, and lets your whole body know if there’s trouble in the world or cause for celebration. Your body is directly influenced as these molecules course through the bloodstream, delivering the energetic effect of whatever your brain is thinking and feeling.
When you say, “I have a sad heart,” then you literally have a sad heart. If we looked inside your heart, we would find it affected by molecules that cause stress and damage, such as excessive amounts of adrenaline and cortisol. If you say, “I’m bursting with joy,” a scientist could analyze your skin and find it loaded with neuropeptides that may have antidepressant effects and that may modulate the immune system. If you say, “I feel exhilarated, unbounded, and joyful,” and I were to examine your blood, I would find high levels of interleukin and interferon, which are powerful anticancer drugs.
One of the keys to harnessing this potentially unlimited power of the mind is to expand your level of self-awareness. When your awareness is contracted, the flow of energy and information throughout your bodymind is hampered. You tend to stay stuck in toxic emotions such as regret, resentment, and self-pity. Non-nurturing habits such as overeating and not exercising take hold. The feedback loop between your mind and your body turns negative, and stress can hit you instantaneously or grind away at you day after day.
On the other hand, when you expand your awareness, your energy flows freely. You’re more flexible, balanced, and creative. You view yourself and the world with more compassion and understanding. You have more energy and are open to new possibilities. At this level of awareness, you have all the power you could possibly need to create a new reality — a reality of vibrant health and wellbeing.
There are many practical tools that can help you expand your awareness, including meditation and mindfulness. In addition, a self-aware approach to life would include the following prescriptions, which I developed with Dr. Rudy Tanzi when we co-wrote our forthcoming book, Super Brain:
• Be passionate about your life and the experiences you fill it with.
• Remain open to as much input as possible.
• Don’t shut down the feedback loop with judgment, rigid beliefs, and prejudices.
• Don’t censor incoming data through denial.
• Examine other points of view as if they were your own.
• Take responsibility for making conscious choices.
• Work on psychological blocks like shame and guilt – they falsely color your reality.
• Free yourself emotionally – emotional resilience is the best defense against growing rigid.
• Harbor no secrets – they create dark places in the psyche.
• Be willing to redefine yourself every day.
• Don’t regret the past or fear the future. Both bring misery through self-doubt.
Awareness isn’t passive. It directly leads to action (or inaction). As you take steps to expand your awareness, you will naturally find yourself harnessing your mind’s infinite power to create greater health, happiness, and love in your life.
Is there a topic you want to hear Deepak discuss? The Chopra Well is giving you the opportunity to weigh in on what Deepak covers in his daily video series Ask Deepak! Submit your questions and ideas to us on YouTube by following these simple steps:
- You will need a YouTube account (or you can log in with a gmail account) to be able to comment. Don’t have one? Watch our instructional video on how to set up an account and subscribe to the channel here.
- The Ask Deepak! playlist can be found on the right-hand side when you scroll down the main video page. Click any of the videos to begin playing.
- You can leave your question or comment on any of the Ask Deepak! videos. Simply scroll to below the video and description to the white box that says, “Respond to this video.”
- Type your question or suggestions into the box and click “Post” at the bottom right corner of the comment box. Remember to tell us you’re submitting after reading The Chopra Center Newsletter! You’re done!
We will read all of the submissions and send them to Deepak to answer and address in upcoming episodes of Ask Deepak! If your question is selected, Deepak will mention you by name as he answers your question. Make sure you subscribe to the channel so you’ll know when all of our latest videos premiere and watch to see if Deepak answers your question!
Sages & Scientists
Show Preview - Click here >>
The Chopra Well recently premiered a new show – Sages & Scientists. It’s a weekly series on The Chopra Well featuring insights in science, spirituality, and technology; it is sponsored by the Chopra Foundation. Every Thursday catch new episodes with leading experts sharing their knowledge of the universe and how we’re all connected to it. Watch Sages & Scientists now!